I tried these unassumingly simple to bake and delicious to eat maize biscuits at a friends. I immediately took down her recipe and put maize flour on my grocery list. When my significant half, walked in with double the quantity of maize flour, that was actually mentioned in the list; I knew I had to stop procrastinating and get to baking those delightful biscuits soon. Here goes the recipe…(I have some alterations to it based on my baking experience)
Maize flour – 90 grams
All purpose Flour – 90 grams
Butter – 80 grams
Salt – a pinch
Egg yolk – one
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – 70 grams (original recipe says 50 grams. Since I used salted butter, i increased the quantity of the sugar)
Water – 1 teaspoon
- Chop the cold butter into chunks and add to it rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients well, gently breaking the butter with hands and incorporating it into the mixture.
- Add water, only if you feel the mixture is not coming together. I mainly used water while I made balls out the mixture to plaster the cracks if any.
- Place the balls on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated over at 180 degree C for 15 minutes (original recipes says 160 degree C for 10 minutes). All depends on individual oven.
have fun baking these lovely maize coins!